an easy fix? (blind) humidifier filling

Jim Busby jim_busby@byu.edu
Mon, 10 May 2004 09:53:06 -0600

Ed, Mark,

What's wrong with filling 'til the light stops blinking? Am I missing
something?

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of Ed
Sutton
Sent: Sunday, May 09, 2004 7:55 PM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: RE: an easy fix? (blind) humidifier filling

Hey, Mark!
Here's an idea for you:
Attach a length of aquarium tubing in the tank such that it ends at the
desired water level.
While filling the tank, the student blows through the aquarium tubing.
When the air starts to bubble in the water, the student knows the tank
is
filled.   A little wacky, but I believe it would work, and I know how
important it is in Brandon to keep the humidifiers working!
Ed Sutton

however,
> when you lower the pitcher, the water-flow will reverse.
>
> So it seems several "audible" indicators of water-level already exist,
> without a need to "manually" check the tank.
>
> One difficulty however seems to be "hearing" the trickling sound, and
> noticing when it stops. The sound is often very faint.
>
> I'm wondering if some really, really simple fixture could be added to
the
> end of the hose to make the "trickling" sound LOUDER, more distinct?
>
> If so, our watering assistants could merely add water to EVERY piano,
by
> schedule, rather than demand.
>
> They could add water until the "trickling" sound stops.
>
> If the tanks were still full, there would be no "trickling" sound, and
air
> would "gurgle" back when they stopped pouring.
>
> If over-filled, the pitcher could be lowered to siphon excess water
back,
> until the "gurgling" sound indicated capacity.
>
> One point Becky Baldwin of Dampp-chaser mentions, is the need for the
angled
> slice at the end of the water hose, and that this be set precisely for
> correct water-level. (sorry, I forget)
>
> Anyhow, wouldn't it be nice to face the return of students in fall
with
this