S & S rep. springs

Mary Smith marysmith@mail.utexas.edu
Thu, 20 May 2004 17:40:14 -0500

Mark,

Yes, Steinway sells these springs separately. There are two different
gauges of wire, one for bass and one for treble. I believe the sets contain
enough of both for an entire set of reps. Also, it's not really all that
time consuming. On an older piano as you have there, simply rebush the rep
post gang-style (i.e., with one long strip of bushing cloth threaded
through the post-hole of several reps), with springs in place of course.
After you slice them all apart, insert center pins to solidify the joint.
Use glue sparingly on the cloth if you like, but I don't think it's really
necessary. The time it takes is well worth it!

Mary