S & S rep. springs

Mark Cramer Cramer@BrandonU.CA
Thu, 20 May 2004 19:27:05 -0500

Thanks Mary,

boy am I lazy,.. the S&S catalog was downstairs (one whole flight of stairs)
in the shop, and as you mention, there are just the 'two' guages listed.

Regarding Ed's advice, the "ooops" in my post was the breaking of springs
whilst trying to straighten the bend. Unfortunately, "these" springs are of
the disposable variety.

I have an old set of teflon wips I've raided for springs on occasion, but
it's nice to know full sets of new springs are available.

thanks all!
Mark

PS On the subject of reconditioning wips, I'm very fond of recovering the
heels with cloth stretched/clamped in place (gang-fashion) with go-bars, as
Bill Spurlock taught.

One obstacle has been having the stack at the correct height in relation to
the ceiling, and another has been controlling the lateral force the old
fashioned bars can produce.

So, I revisited Rod Vernjhak's web-site to have another look at a picture
that provoked some thought last time: His "spring-loaded" go-bar deck!

And yes, they are just "spring-loaded shower-curtain rods," and they really
do work!

They can be threaded in or out to rough working length, then compressed to
the tension you need.

A very simple "John Hartman" shop-trick is to load a go-bar against a
bathroom scale to calibrate the force you require. No reason why it
shouldn't work with these.

Now, I haven't actually used one of these Wal-mart specials yet, (the
Bluthner's board is ready now, so I'll have to make do with the
good-old-fashioned wooden sticks) but I've bought one in a nice
"forest-green" to play around with. (thanks to Rod V.)

comments?

Mark Cramer,
Brandon University