Practical Concert Work

Wed, 26 May 2004 19:07:15 +0200

Hi lists

Just got my June issue of the Journal and read with interest the article
by  Jim Hudson, RPT  "Practical Concert Work".  This article should be
read by all of you, and it seems to me it yields plenty of  fertile
ground for discussion on the lists.  Much of his voicing philosophy
strikes me as echoing Franz Mohrs thinking. Given the recent discussions
on voicing and hammer felt this is good stuff to bounce back and forth.
I'm sure Dale would find much that harmonizes with his thinking.

One point I'd like to throw out right off is the statement he makes
early on in this Part 2 of his article series.  Jim says

    "A good concert regulation is a safe regulation. Let off is set at
    0.125 (3,175 mm), with liberal but not excessive aftertouch..."

While I certainly understand some of the problems that can arrise with a
borderline tolerance regulation... it strikes me that 3+ mm  is overly
carefull and will result in immediat problems for pianist requireing the
most sensitive of pianisimo touch possiblities at their disposal.

Still, the close tolerance regulation with respect to letoff does have
its trade-off concerns--- and I would love to hear the lists thoughts on
these, let off  tolerances in general, and how to deal with consequences
of choices made in respect to let-off distance.

Cheers
RicB