Practical Concert Work

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Fri, 28 May 2004 19:38:46 -0600

Hi Richard,
	I've got to say that there are more highly questionable assertions in that
article than in any I've seen in a long, long time. Certainly Hudson's
assertion that "no one can distinguish between 0.125 in. and 0.0615 in."
let-off is utter hooey, to be very charitable. Any decent pianist can
distinguish between 1/8 and 1/16" let-off, and also between 1/16 and 1/32",
and will vastly prefer the last. And for my part I have never seen humidity
change cause significant blocking problems in a concert instrument I
regulated to 1/32". Maybe I don't see drastic enough humidity change to
share that experience, but I have never had a problem keeping let-off close
enough that you can "play off the jacks (meaning slowly pressing the keys
to the point where resistence increases - ie, let-off button and drop screw
are contacted, then a rapid pressure of the keys will create a very fine
pianissimo blow). I do keep my regulating button felt nice and flat, as
regulating with dimples in the felt will always lead to blocking. But, that
said, I think that humidity will swell those felts enough to compensate for
string rise and fall, hammer felt swelling or whatever humidity change
might do.
	I also think your average concert pianist appreciates key bushings without
slop. If you are having problems with sluggishness due to humidity rise,
probably the cloth you bushed with was too thick. It's a very touchy thing,
choosing just the right cloth, but it makes absolutely all the difference.
With the right cloth, good lubrication and polishing, and precision
ironing, very tight tolerances can be achieved without causing problems in
more humid conditions. Granted, I live in a dry climate, but I see rises
from under 10% to over 60% on a regular basis, so I think my experience is
pretty valid.
	Better to contour a hammer to an out of level string than to level the
strings? Utter hogwash! Get your strings level (and the straight-mate from
Pianotek makes that job just that much easier, along with Joe Goss's string
level), file your hammers nicely (and travel and square them well), and
mating is a non-issue. Leave the strings wherever they might be and adapt
the hammers to them, and you've entered on a fool's waste of time (in my oh
so very humble opinion).
	Hudson's comments on voicing are a mixed bag, but he sure doesn't
understand the hard-pressed hammer and hasn't worked with it enough if he
can write, "I have never accomplished much by working the shoulders to
'release tension.'" Granted, the biggest bang for the buck comes in that
last couple millimeters away from the strike point, but if you haven't
worked the shoulders, you'll never develop the tonal spectrum, at least in
my experience.
	So there are a few quick reactions to the article to kick start a
discussion. Or maybe to fade into complete silence, especially considering
the time of year <g>
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico

--On Wednesday, May 26, 2004 7:07 PM +0200 Richard Brekne