Practical Concert Work

Jim Busby jim_busby@byu.edu
Sat, 29 May 2004 15:09:43 -0600

Fred,

What about Spurlock's method of choosing cloth thickness(on his
website)? Doesn't that work for you?

Jim Busby

...My complaint about
it being too loose is that the caul doesn't hold the felt quite tightly
enough for cutting purposes, and I have to bear down/sidways on the caul

while cutting to avoid the felt pulling). I just experiment with various

sizes I have in stock until I get what feels right. Sometimes that is
two
slightly different sizes (one in each side of the mortise).
	I have found that if I get that loose fit when installing the
finish caul,
ironing with the parallel sided brass cauls from Pianotek leaves me with
perfect fit, and I don't find myself needing to do any easing a year or
two
down the road. Absolutely no custom easing (except for balance hole). If
use felt that is not all that much tighter, I find that no amount of
ironing will create a permanently correct size - I have to squeeze wood,

which I vastly prefer not to do, both for practical and theoretical
reasons.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico