Practical Concert Work

Sat, 29 May 2004 15:58:46 -0700

I have to agree with this.  Trying to regulate letoff to 1/32" is dangerous
in a concert situation, or any other for that matter.  It doesn't even take
a change in humidity to create blocking or bobbling.  Just playing into the
keys sometimes (toward the fallboard) will create a situation in which the
key doesn't fully depress and you won't get adequate escapement.  I would
much prefer to err on the side of a bit too much than too little as long as
it's uniform.  Not being able to get ppppp is much less important than
getting bobblebobblebobble on occasion and unpredictably.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

I've regulated pianos to the gnat's eyelash and had it go south on me
making blocking hammers, or double striking hammers.  Generally, when you
close to blocking.  I don't think the customers are impressed at that
point.  You regulated, you had to come back and fix it.  In their mind it
was wrong.  I heard Bill Garlick once tell a class that if you're going to
regulate it that close make sure to hang around for the concert!

> I live 17 miles from the school so I do tend to like a "safe" regulation.
I don't set it at  3mm but I don't like it so close that you can kind of
feel the hammer letting off on the string.  In addition, in a recital hall
seating 500 there is seldom any playing done at the pppp level such that
the note would miss.  Most recital playing is pp to sfffffff!

> I enjoyed his perspective and his comments on voicing.  I too mainly
worry about the striking surface though I understand that this is somewhat
controversial.  Whatever floats your boat!