[CAUT] voicing a D

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Fri, 1 Oct 2004 10:29:38 EDT

I need some help from some of you who have lots of voicing  experience.

The D in our concert hall has a problem, at least as perceived by one of  our
piano faculty and a musicologist. They differ on where they hear the
problem, but it seems to be the same sound they hear. They describe it as a wave
length that is very wide, as opposed to a more focused wave. It is not so much a
twangy sound and it lack a certain amount of depth. They are even leaning
towards a soundboard problem. The piano is only 2 years old.

I have lacquered and voiced the hammers last year, and this summer spent
quite a bit of time leveling strings, making the sure the hammer strike point is
level, etc. All the usual fine point. But I want to see what I can do to get
more "focus" out of the hammer.

Thanks

Wim