[CAUT] voicing a D

Ed Sutton ed440@mindspring.com
Fri, 1 Oct 2004 17:45:38 -0400

Wim-

What are the musical circumstances under which they report these "wide waves?"
Are they playing pieces of music?
Chords? Big chords? Triads?
Octaves? Piles of octaves (C1-C2-C3-C4-etc)?
Or just single notes?
Fast? Slow? What volume levels?

Ed Sutton

To: caut@ptg.org
Sent: 10/1/2004 10:29:38 AM
Subject: [CAUT] voicing a D

I need some help from some of you who have lots of voicing experience.

The D in our concert hall has a problem, at least as perceived by one of our piano faculty and a musicologist. They differ on where they hear the problem, but it seems to be the same sound they hear. They describe it as a wave length that is very wide, as opposed to a more focused wave. It is not so much a twangy sound and it lack a certain amount of depth. They are even leaning towards a soundboard problem. The piano is only 2 years old.

I have lacquered and voiced the hammers last year, and this summer spent quite a bit of time leveling strings, making the sure the hammer strike point is level, etc. All the usual fine point. But I want to see what I can do to get more "focus" out of the hammer.

Thanks

Wim