[CAUT] stand-by & pitch change charges

Barbara Richmond piano57@insightbb.com
Fri, 5 Aug 2005 15:36:41 -0500

Howdy all,

Just had a note from the director of the big auditorium.  A contract =
from a big orchestra has come through specifying that the piano be tuned =
not more than 6 hours before the concert and  "The piano tuner should =
remain available and on stand-by until concert start time."

What's a fair charge for stand-by?  Would it be my normal hourly fee, =
even if I'm sitting in the tech office reading a book?  :-)

Unless I'm planning on staying for the concert for my own enjoyment, I =
usually stay until I get the OK from whomever, but it usually isn't long =
after I've finished working.  At this point I haven't been informed what =
the afternoon schedule is.  This is the first time I've had this in a =
contract ('tis only my second season).  Just wondering how you all =
handle these things.

Also, this orchestra has requested something other than 440, so I'm =
thinking they should not only pay for bringing the piano up in pitch, =
but also taking it back down again.  Comments??

I realize a lot of you on this list are salaried techs, but someone out =
there must be servicing additional concert facilities.  (Oh, yeah, I'll =
be getting to that report after "going to the lake" season........)

Thanks,

Barbara Richmond, RPT