[CAUT] stand-by & pitch change charges

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Fri, 05 Aug 2005 18:39:17 -0600

Hi Barbara,
    In general, I agree with Jon: charge your hourly rate. But that could b=
negotiable should the contract be amended to say =B3The tuner will return at =
o=B9clock (say an hour before the concert) to touch up and deal with any
problems.=B2 Then it=B9s a service call. I would think that solution would meet
everyone=B9s approval.
    About charging for pitch change back to 440, that=B9s a complex question.
Whose piano? What=B9s the status of the event? Is the orchestra renting the
hall, or the hall presenting the orchestra? I=B9d say the policy is the hall=B9=
responsibility. I would advise them, if this is a rental, to charge the
orchestra an additional tuning to bring it back (and for two tunings to get
it to non-standard pitch and stable). Just tell them the next time they hav=
it tuned, it will need two tunings =AD that should be sufficient to persuade
them. Of course if it is a co-production, or the concert is produced by the
venue, it becomes a different kettle of fish. But make sure the folks in th=
hall know that non-440 means extra tuning in both directions. And leave it
to them as to who pays (as long as it isn=B9t the tuner working for free).

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico

=20