The Curse of Gab (was: [CAUT] I am a genius)

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Tue, 16 Aug 2005 09:27:39 -0400

On Aug 13, 2005, at 8:48 PM, Jeff Olson wrote:

> There are some people who seem unable to conduct a business-like
> exchange (which is, after all, what we're supposed to be doing),

What is business, after all?  An exchange of a service for money?  If
that is what we have come to, then that is a really sad indication of
where we are as a society.

When I am at death's door, do I want to be able to say, "if only that
person had quit tallking, I could have made another hundred bucks
that day." or that something I did made a difference in someone's
life every day?

I rather like to believe that when people feel comfortable talking to
me, it is an indication that the client likes me, and will call me
back another day.

I envy those of you who have established a solid private clientele
that will sustain a decent living.  That's a heck of a lot better
than dealing with this group of snooty better-that-the-piano-janitor-
who-doesn't-have-his-PHD faculties we deal with every day.  There
isn't a lot more depressing than to NOT be able to strike up a decent
conversation with your coworkers because they don't have time for you
and think you are lower class.

Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina