The Curse of Gab (was: [CAUT] I am a genius)

Jeannie Grassi jcgrassi@earthlink.net
Tue, 16 Aug 2005 08:03:06 -0700

Exactly!  Over the years, I have met so many incredible people and have come
to be good friends with many of them.  I look forward to catching up with
their lives on my visits.  I view it as a fringe benefit of this peculiar
job.

I make polite, small conversation with those I meet for the first time, but
year after year, a relationship grows can't help but grow.  Some people do
not invite or allow anything beyond letting me in the door.  That's
absolutely fine with me.  However, some relationships have grown beyond the
limitations of time that a tuning visit allows, so we socialize on our own
time.  If you keep clients for 10, 15, or 20 years, how can you just walk
in, smile, do your job, and then collect the check?  I treasure my clients
who have become my friends.

I'm realistic with my time and often have a very tightly scheduled day and
explain that to talkative clients, but 5 or even 10 minutes never ruined a
day, or a business and there is a lot of human interaction that can be done
in that time.
jeannie

Jeannie Grassi, RPT
Assistant Editor, Piano Technicians Journal
mailto:jcgrassi@earthlink.net