[CAUT] Miking pianos

Bdshull@aol.com Bdshull@aol.com
Thu, 1 Dec 2005 12:24:28 EST

I agree with Phil, it seems the industry standard is the AKG 414 as far as
piano mic's go.

But the 414 is a bright mic, and placement is critical.

The best sound I've heard was obtained with two ribbon mics, but they're
costly, usually require preamps, they might be ruined by phantom power),and
they're not always in a school's mic inventory.  But they'll make a Yamaha CIII
sound round and full...  I can tell you what I've learned about placement that
always works for me if you're interested - everything I learned about this was
from Peter Clark at CSU Sacramento.

Bill Shull

a In a message dated 12/1/2005 7:53:06 AM Pacific Standard Time,