[CAUT] Temperament:Harpsichord:Handel ?

Avery Todd atodd@uh.edu
Fri, 02 Dec 2005 08:07:51 -0600

Andrew,

A couple of years ago that came up here & I sent Mike Jorgensen an e-mail for
some advice. Here's his response:

I regularly use the Thomas Young here with orchestra and choir on the
harpsichord and have encountered no problems.  I cannot remember when we
did the Messiah last though.  No harpsichord in that time was tuned in
ET, and the composers knew exactly what they were doing when they
orchestrated the music.  Given this, I am certain that both choir and
orchestra will find it very comfortable and natural to play with as they
have here.  I will call Dad tonight and get his advice and e-mail you
tomorrow, and/or I'm sure he wouldn't mind your calling him.  906 292
5637.
-Mike Jorgensen

I also called Owen & his suggestion was 1st, Prinze (if they would accept
it - it's a little strong for some people.) then next the Young or Moore.
If I remember correctly, I ended up using the Prinz & had no trouble at
all. That has ended up becoming sort of the default harpsichord tuning here
unless something stronger, like a Meantone, is needed for a specific occasion.

Avery