[CAUT] Temperament:Harpsichord:Handel ?

Alan McCoy amccoy@mail.ewu.edu
Mon, 05 Dec 2005 10:42:13 -0800

Must be Messiah time of year. Gunther Schuller was just here to conduct the
Messiah as the first segment of our Bach festival. It was a chamber-size
orchestra and chorus. I sent Gunther copies of Owen Jorgenson's PTJ series.
I never had the chance to talk with him about it though. I chose Bradley
Leyman's Bach temperament. The more I listen to this temperament the more I
like it. Try it. Listen to the E major triad, very saucy, then E minor
brings tears. C-G and D-A fifths are a bit jangly, but in context doesn't
offend me. At any rate there is so much going on in the Messiah that I never
heard any pitch problems, nor did anyone else.

The bigger issue was the difference between the Positif organ, which goes
sharp as the heat rises, and the harpsichord, which goes flat as heat rises.
The harpsichordist asked me to tune the harpsichord "a few vibrations sharp"
so that maybe by the end of the concert, the organ and harpsichord might be
in tune. I tuned it 3c sharp. The problem was that the organ started out 4c
sharp! I just now talked with the principle cellist and he said he just
tried to fit somewhere in between. Then last night they used the church's
main pipe organ and there were no (or many fewer) pitch problems. I tried to
always tune the harpsichord after it had been under the lights for an hour.
Even so I still tuned it 3c sharp.

As far as technique, I agree wholeheartedly with Ron N and Fred. I needed to
use a T handle for this harpsichord's oblong pins. For our instrument here
at the university, I use a gooseneck. I don't think it matters whether you
come at it from below or above or what kind of "hammer" you use. We're not
amateurs at the tuning game. Go through all the registers twice, just like
you do with a piano. As Fred said, they are very sensitive to temperature
changes.

To quote Ron Nossman in what I think is one of the best statements I have
read about tuning technique, "I pull them up or drop them down to pitch, as
usual, then alternately turn and jiggle the pin back and forth to find the
point where it will be most likely to stay where I leave it - then leave it.
I don't have a template. I don't have a checklist. I don't have a
conditional set of programmed movements I use in each of a specific number
of defined circumstances. I attempt to read what each and every pin and
string it telling me and leave it in the most stable condition I can from
the information it gives me." Thanks Ron for this wonderfully pithy
statement. Get it to pitch and jiggle it. What could be simpler, and yet
take lots of experience to do.

Amateurs might need some kind of recipe to get them in the ballpark. After a
gazillion tunings, a recipe just gets in the way of the professional. Then
you start to think about it too much.

The offsets for the Bach temperament can be found at:
http://www.larips.com/. This is an interesting site. I really don't have
enough background to evaluate his thesis, but I do like the temperament.

Alan

-- Alan McCoy, RPT
Eastern Washington University
amccoy@mail.ewu.edu