[CAUT] Harpsichord tuning tips

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Fri, 2 Dec 2005 13:21:33 -0500

Hi Andrew,
I think all these questions will answer themselves as soon as you get
started tuning, but I'll throw in my observations just for kicks.

On Dec 2, 2005, at 12:36 PM, Andrew Anderson wrote:

> Do harpsichords have regular tuning pins?

Yes, but the pins are much smaller diameter and I've seen at least
three different types of pin "heads".  You'll need a tuning tool that
fits whichever type pins are in that particular instrument.  Some
pins have a hole for a string becket, while others with flat heads
require special knowledge in how to tie the wire onto the pin.  The
most common I've seen in harpsichords is the latter, without threads.

> Do they behave quite differently from pianos?

Yes, it is a different feeling from the piano, and once you get the
feel of it (doesn't take long) much easier than tuning a piano.  Much
less friction all around.

> I guess the mechanism is different so the "test-blow" is out.
> Would rubbing/stretching the strings with a rag be equivalent?

I've never felt a need for the test blow tuning harpsichords.
Bearing points don't seem to exert the same friction as those in the
piano.  I just balance the torque of the pin as best I can and move
on.  I was taught to tune from the flat side, but I've never really
had problems with not always heeding that advice.  I think if you rub
the string after you've tuned it, you'll never get the darned thing
in tune, and you may break the rather fragile wire.

Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina