[CAUT] Miking pianos

Keith Kopp keith_kopp@byu.edu
Fri, 2 Dec 2005 11:42:37 -0700

Before my life as a piano technician I did a fair amount of sound
reinforcement work. One of my sons is now full time in this profession
and travels coast to coast. His work includes live application such as
classical, jazz, country and corporate sound jobs. (By the way, each of
those applications may require a different sound. Have you notice that a
high end home sound system has different equalization settings for
different styles of music that you listen to?) At least once a month I
set down with him to get updated on all the newest toys and techniques.
I totally agree with the things that have been said by Jeff. I have a
few additional observations. Besides placement you also need to be aware
that the way the mic is positioned makes a big difference. The sound
coming into the side is different from the sound coming straight in. The
distance between multiple mics changes the pick-up pattern and
characteristics. The make and model is not the whole answer. (Again your
individual tastes might drive you decision about what mic to use. I was
in a recording studio and was shown a software program that would change
how the piano sounded if recorded with different mics.) A good
technician can get a pretty good sound out of a lesser expensive mic
while a bad technicians can get a real bad sound out of a good mic. I
did a piano miking class at a regional conference. I used several mic
recordings in various locations in the piano. Without revealing the mic
types or makes (some were less than $100, other over $500) or location I
played the sample recordings back and ask the participant to say which
they thought was the best sound. The results were quite interesting. To
confirm what Jeff has said there was not a for sure conclusion.

The best advise I heard was from an award winning recording engineer was
to put your ear up to what ever you are working with. When you find the
sound you want, put the mic there. The means almost crawling in, out and
around the piano and listening at the spot you think might be best. A
variation is to have someone play the piano you are working with and
have someone move the mic around inside and out, above and below, lid
down and lid up while you listen out front in the hall. When find the
sweet spot you want, mic it. Be aware the hall will also have sweet
spot. Just because it sounds good in seat K45 it doesn't mean it will be
the same in seat K47. And the hall will change when people fill the
seats, the temperature changes and other conditions vary. The same
things that affect the piano's natural sound will also change the halls
sound.

Keep in mind the sound man has at his finger tips a verity of toys to
play with that will undo all you have done to make the piano sound
right. For starters, he has equalizers the can change the tone at every
third octave of the pianos sound. On new digital mixers he can do that
with every single mic. He can change the fundamental and partials and he
can do it with the twist of a knob without a needle!

Thanks Jeff for saving me from having to go into details. You covered a
lot of ground. There are no simple answers. Sound reinforcement is as
complicated as piano technology. A piano technician is a lucky man
indeed when there is a good sound technician at the mixing board taking
care of your piano.

I have thought it would be great to have a "how to mic a piano" class
taught at annual convention.

Keith Kopp,
Brigham Young University