[CAUT] Temperament:Harpsichord:Handel ?

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Fri, 2 Dec 2005 14:31:27 -0700

Hi Dennis,
     In practice, I have found that the offsets work amazingly well
and precisely. I recently tuned pianos for a couple of temperament
lecture recitals (Stuart Isacoff in Albuquerque, then Los Alamos)
doing 1/4 comma meantone and Valotti as well as ET. Beautifully pure
M3s in the MT, lovely balance in the Valotti. The offsets are placed
on top of an existing tuning that already accounts for inharmonicity
(I use RCT, myself). So there really isn't an issue with inharmonic
bumps (most of that is taken care of anyway, by virtue of which
partials are being used to tune/generate number curves).
     With the harpsichord, there is next to no inharmonicity to deal
with. 0.0 tunings work quite nicely. My own harpsichord tunings -
those I derived by tuning a harpsichord and reading and recording the
tuning, and those I generated using RCT - have numbers that don't
exceed 4 cents at the outer ranges. I do prefer the wee bit of
stretch, but a flat zero tuning will pass muster in many cases.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm@unm.edu