[CAUT] Re: Back length tuning

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Fri, 02 Dec 2005 21:44:46 +0100

Hi Jim

How do you account for claims that changing the frequency of a back
length can effect a change in the sound characteristics for the
corresponding speaking length of a string then ?  And while I have your
ear... grin... I've also heard discussion along the lines that
longitudinal vibration zips right past the bridge termination and can
play a part in excitation of transverse modes in the back length.  If
you get time to jot down some thoughts on that matter I would be greatfull

Thanks
RicB

Jim Ellis writes

Before any of you go head-over-heels tuning the back lengths of strings to
the overtones of their corresponding speaking lengths, you need to be aware
that the notion that an individual string couples from speaking length to
its corresponding back length across the bridge is a myth.  It does not,
and cannot, unless that particular bridge termination is defective.  Whole
groups of speaking lengths do couple to whole groups of back lengths by the
vibrations of the bridge, but individual coupling does not occur between a
single speaking length and its corresponding back length the way it does at
the front duplex where it merely bleeds across a single termination point.
I have found cases where a back length would vibrate at the frequency of a
speaking length of another string as much as two octaves away from it.

Sincerely, Jim Ellis