[CAUT] Re: piano miking

Chris Solliday solliday@ptd.net
Mon, 5 Dec 2005 13:28:12 -0500

Dear List,
 much of what has been said is good advice but the fact is as someone
(probably Jeff)  has said that if you ask 100 sound technicians you will get
400 different answers. Although joking he really hit the nail there. It
really is not about the equipment, although one should stay current, it's
more about having the "ears" and experience to tune the room using whatever
equipment. This won't be taught at a PTG class. After twenty plus years of
working in major halls in the New York and PHiladelphia area and many
college campuses and working on too many to count recording sessions, and
some of the most successful in the world I should add, I have seen and heard
such a variety of set ups that we would need a day to just describe the
equipment and that's not including mixing. I must agree with my good friend
Tim Coates (again) that the AMT-M40 is a revelation currently. No one mike
does such a grand job of capturing the entire piano evenly and is as fexible
and costs so little ($399.00 at the micguys.com) and is so easy to place as
TIm has noted. And the AKG-414's are somewhat standard. I personally like
currently (again) for small formats in medium sized halls two AKG-414s and
one AMT-M40 to smooth things out with the lid open full stick. The AKGs can
be too powerful and the modeling technology in the AMT system gives you a
good head start at equalizing and it's right inside there on the plate
looking alot like a PZM. For the particular situation original question
about big bands and banjos I would use two, or one, AMT-M40 and close the
lid because the idea (Jeff again?) that you can get the rest of the guys (or
gals) to back off is (or was that your subtle humor Jeff?) nonsense. I might
happen for the first two tunes but... well you get the point. Most of all I
think piano technicians should stay out of this area and not ad hoc the
sound guy because we don't like being ad hoc'd neither. Hey? It certainly
wouldn't hurt to understand the fundamentals better so Rick F is definitely
in the right direction with Keith, but let's not expect too much from a PTG
class and get all heady and mouthin' off to the sound technician just
because he doesn't have his own guild.
Chris Solliday