[CAUT] Re: piano miking

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Mon, 5 Dec 2005 16:42:46 -0500

On Dec 5, 2005, at 1:28 PM, Chris Solliday wrote:
> fact is as someone
> (probably Jeff)  has said...

> For the particular situation original question
> about big bands and banjos I would use two, or one, AMT-M40 and
> close the
> lid because the idea (Jeff again?) that you can get the rest of the
> guys (or
> gals) to back off is (or was that your subtle humor Jeff?)

Credit for those points of my post goes to Jeff Francis, our
recording/sound engineer.  He was talking about recommendations to
get a more natural acoustic sound without close micing.  I think it
was a bit tongue-in-cheek, coming from a guy who's also a jazz
bassist.  Two of his recommendations included "...and having everyone
else play less."

He also wrote:
"-pray"
and
"There is no formula."

I thought the most important sentence in his entire writing, even
moreso than the "493 opinions from 50 engineers" point, was this one:

"In live amplification situations, everything is a compromise."

I've watched him set up mics for recordings.  He walks around the
piano while someone is playing it to find the one focal point where
the piano sound is fullest and most focused (it jumps out at you when
you find it) and that's where his stereo mics go.  He has that
position measured, and tends to use those measurements for
recordings.  All sorts of possibilities for mic placement abound in a
recording atmosphere.

But with amplification situations, you just gotta do the best you can
with what you've got.

I think we as piano enthusiasts can be overzealous in our judgement
of the piano's sound in a live, amplified ensemble because we focus
on that instrument.  But as Mr. Francis wrote, "A little of it in the
PA system will give the impression of piano without muddying up
everything else," the sound engineer is focused on making the
ensemble sound as well as a whole with the equipment (including the
ear) he or she has to work with.

Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina