[CAUT] Re: piano miking

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Mon, 05 Dec 2005 18:12:07 -0700

On 12/5/05 11:28 AM, "Chris Solliday" <solliday@ptd.net> wrote:

> Most of all I
> think piano technicians should stay out of this area and not ad hoc the
> sound guy because we don't like being ad hoc'd neither. Hey? It certainly
> wouldn't hurt to understand the fundamentals better so Rick F is definitely
> in the right direction with Keith, but let's not expect too much from a PTG
> class and get all heady and mouthin' off to the sound technician just
> because he doesn't have his own guild.
> Chris Solliday

    I'd love to see a class on the subject of miking, both for recording and
for amplification. Chris has a very good point about not pretending we know
more than we do, and giving advice to professionals who don't want it. But
there have been a number of occasions where a sound person or a recording
person has asked me for an opinion - they may be good sound or recording
people, but don't know the piano. It would be good to have some basic
background.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico