[CAUT] job description

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Tue, 06 Dec 2005 18:51:37 -0700

Hi Wim,
    I=B9m going to echo David. Why exactly do you want to be exempt from
coverage of the Fair Labor Standards Act? The one thing that occurs to me i=
that you might want to on the grounds that you are a fast worker, and can
get your job done in, say, 30 hours a week. And maybe that is realistic for
you, based on your rather positive ratio of number of pianos to FTE
employee. Of course, that could backfire: seeing you coming in only 30 hour=
a week, they could decide it=B9s a .75 FTE job. Or they could decide things
need to be kept up better, and place bigger demands.
    On the whole, I think the vast majority of us are well-served by being
covered by FLSA, even if it is a bit of a pain to keep track of the clock
(document). For some job description language, search the archives. I know =
few have been posted, including some good material from Jeff Tanner.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico

PS UNM reclassified an enormous number of jobs from exempt to non-exempt a
few years back. Seems there was some pressure in that direction, some of it
from labor union types, other from the feds.
=20