[CAUT] job description

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Wed, 7 Dec 2005 14:18:05 -0500

On Dec 6, 2005, at 8:51 PM, Fred Sturm wrote:

> Hi Wim,
>     I=E2=80=99m going to echo David. Why exactly do you want to be =
exempt =20
> from coverage of the Fair Labor Standards Act? The one thing that =20
> occurs to me is that you might want to on the grounds that you are =20
> a fast worker, and can get your job done in, say, 30 hours a week.  =20=

> And maybe that is realistic for you, based on your rather positive =20
> ratio of number of pianos to FTE employee. Of course, that could =20
> backfire: seeing you coming in only 30 hours a week, they could =20
> decide it=E2=80=99s a .75 FTE job.

Exactly an argument FOR "exempt".

> Or they could decide things need to be kept up better, and place =20
> bigger demands.

I followed the development of the position Wim now holds when it was =20
open and had several email conversations with his former director.  I =20=

don't even know if Wim was aware of some of this.  In May 2001, =20
before Wim took the position, the salary band topped out at $29,952, =20
and the school was getting no takers. The former local technician was =20=

basically treating it as a part time, after hours job, making about =20
$27K and the school was getting what it was paying for.  I was told =20
the dean was committed to somehow bump that salary from other =20
department funds and also secure a fairly significant contribution =20
from a local community organization which used UA's facilities to =20
supplement the salary to a level which would attract a qualified =20
technician who would have to relocate.  So, at present, the school is =20=

relying on non-state funds to make the salary respectable - something =20=

which could discontinue at any time.  I thought I had understood that =20=

the position had to be made exempt at the time to accomplish some of =20
those goals, and so I've been under the impression this whole time =20
that Wim was already exempt.  But rereading the writings of the =20
former director now, I may have misunderstood.  In any case, the =20
intentions have always been to reclassify Wim's position to non-=20
exempt because their hands are tied in terms of improving the salary =20
otherwise.  If it is like SC, there is no non-exempt classification =20
in a higher salary band you could squeeze the job responsibilities =20
into, even with the most imaginative language.

The only way to make the salary more employee-retentive in some =20
systems is to move it to exempt, because salaries for the peeaner =20
tooners are set by people over in human resources whose aunt used to =20
play the peeaner at church and have the impression this high skilled =20
profession is a simple hobby taken up by old men after they retire =20
from a "real" job.  (How many times have you heard "Are you still =20
tuning pianos?" and "Is that ALL you do?")  I share the same concern =20
that Fred and Dave have expressed regarding expectations, overtime, =20
comp time, etc., when any of us attempt to make the move to exempt.  =20
Yes, they can require you to work overtime without additional =20
compensation.  But under the same rationale, a non-exempt employee =20
may be required to actually be present 40 (or 37.5) hours per week to =20=

collect a full paycheck, whereas an exempt tech might be able to have =20=

an agreement in place which allows more hours for moonlighting, as is =20=

becoming common for some schools.  That's how the rest of the music =20
faculty make time for their moonlighting. One thing we SHOULD have on =20=

our side is that we work in a department of people which understands =20
the need for moonlighting because we don't have $200K/year salaried =20
professorships like the business/law/medical schools have. Most =20
everybody else here moonlights, or has done it.  Even among those who =20=

are 12 month faculty, many won't darken the doors of the building =20
between mid May and late August.  And most of them use their =20
university studio illegally to moonlight, so if they want to say =20
anything about time commitment....

Either way, the position description needs to include language which =20
indicates a more professional, managerial type of position with =20
decision making duties and autonomy.  Words like "design", =20
"implement", "execute", "strategy", "approves", "supervises", =20
"procures", etc., indicate a more managerial and autonomous nature =20
than "tunes & repairs, etc.", which sounds like there's a higher =20
level expert dictating our every move.  Yes, that's what we do, but =20
we also make decisions about what to prioritize and how to address =20
issues like rebuilding and climate control -- all part of "designing, =20=

implementing and executing a program".  In reality, most of our =20
current descriptions indicate an employee who takes orders from the =20
piano faculty or department chair, who are regarded to be more =20
knowledgeable about how pianos work than the tuners are.  In other =20
words, it is as if we are doctors taking orders from the patients.

For example, I just saw a copy of a position opening (Stephen F. =20
Austin, 75% FTE-Part time, if any of you are interested) which reads =20
the following:  "Perform routine semi-annual tuning of all pianos in =20
college,.., repair piano benches as needed, assist with piano related =20=

purchases."  Everything about that description is dictated and =20
controlled by someone else who might even be a saxophonist (no =20
offense to saxophonists - they know their instrument much better than =20=

we do).  The technician is not being regarded as the expert in this =20
language.

Another problem on this job description:  "High school diploma =20
required."  Again, I mean no offense - I really don't think a college =20=

degree is all that necessary to become a high level piano technician =20
either - but that wording in a job description automatically lowers =20
the salary by two full bands/grades.  I do not know the solution for =20
this.

Many of us are classified with carpenters, HVAC techs, or plumbers =20
because of the language in our position descriptions.  But those =20
professions answer to a manager of some sort - an engineer or =20
supervisor who creates or implements the master plan.  That's us!  We =20=

create the master plan!  But there is an existing classification for =20
those supervisory positions in the other crafts which specifically =20
includes language that disqualifies someone who actually carries out =20
the plan.  That's us too.  We're in a very small box for which the =20
only escape sometimes is "exempt".

My administrators tried and failed to have my position reclassified =20
to exempt this spring (I was reclassified into a different non-exempt =20=

class in the same salary band, and the 2004 Labor Dept changes may =20
well explain why).  If the Labor Department changes do in fact =20
restrict rare skilled jobs like ours from being reclassified, then =20
FTE piano technicians may well be getting the shaft.  That was about =20
the only way many of us had to move our earnings into a range more =20
reflective of our successful private sector colleagues (unless you're =20=

at FSU).

>     On the whole, I think the vast majority of us are well-served =20
> by being covered by FLSA, even if it is a bit of a pain to keep =20
> track of the clock (document). For some job description language, =20
> search the archives. I know a few have been posted, including some =20
> good material from Jeff Tanner.

Fred, I think that was on the other listserve, but I'll reattach it =20
here.  I do not know if my administrators used this description in =20
the reclassification application or not.  I was NOT consulted during =20
that process.  By the time I knew the application had been filed, the =20=

jury had already decided a verdict.

The format used in my attached proposed position description is =20
according to the template used by our HR department.  The percentages =20=

of time spent seem to be required by the job description format they =20
use.  These were some of my ideas I threw out earlier, and all is up =20
for discussion.  I like Alan's language as well.  U of Iowa might =20
have the most appropriate job title I've seen:  Piano Maintenance =20
Coordinator.  In a perfect world, all state HR departments would have =20=

a classification just for that title, with a salary range reflective =20
of national survey data, and actually be "commensurate with =20
experience".  Until then...

I've got to believe that some of us know some of these tricks, or at =20
least maybe are friends with HR personnel professionals who deal with =20=

this kind of language on a daily basis.  These are some of the kinds =20
of things we need to be dealing with as a group to improve our =20
collective lives.
Jeff

=EF=BF=BC

Jeff Tanner, RPT