[CAUT] job description

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Wed, 07 Dec 2005 19:27:11 -0700

On 12/7/05 12:18 PM, "Jeff Tanner" <jtanner@mozart.sc.edu> wrote:

>  If it is like SC, there is no non-exempt classification in a higher sala=
ry
> band you could squeeze the job responsibilities into, even with the most
> imaginative language.

Hi Jeff and Wim,
    Yes, I can see where a particular situation would call for lobbying for
exempt. 50% more annual leave, and the opportunity for advancement in this
case. We don=B9t have that artificial division between exempt and non-exempt
at UNM. No difference in vacation time, and classification levels apply to
both exempt and non-exempt at the same time. My level allows for a wide
range of salary or hourly rate, up to, as I recall, $35/hr. So I don=B9t have
that as an obstacle. (They first advertised it at several levels down, with
a range of $7.50 - $12.50/hr. Funny, nobody applied). If my class had a cap
I was approaching, I=B9d lobby to redefine the job at a higher class (which
might mean eliminating the job and recreating it, with a full application
process).
    But in the Alabama/South Carolina case (and no doubt others), it makes
sense to redefine the job as more managerial and highfalutin=B9. Alan=B9s and
Jeff=B9s job description language is good for that. If that means moving to
exempt, I guess that=B9s a good thing.
    The point I wanted to make is that the Fair Labor Standards Act is ther=
to protect the worker. It lays a number of requirements on the employer.
Lots of employers try to screw their workers by classifying them as exempt
(junior assistant managers in convenience stores and fast food joints and
Wal-Mart come to mind), forcing them to work unpaid overtime. I=B9d just as
soon be covered. As a result, for instance, my supervisor forbids me to wor=
on holidays unless it is an absolute emergency. Kind of nice. I like that.
Great concept: take time off! (Though it used to be nice, when I was
contract, to go in when nobody was around <g>).
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico