[CAUT] Steinway Institutional Service Recommendations

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Tue, 06 Dec 2005 18:54:50 -0700

On 12/6/05 7:27 AM, "Ken Zahringer" <ZahringerK@missouri.edu> wrote:

> Fred,
>
> I must echo your point about Steinway's lacquer.  I think far too many
> people, including instructors, talk too much about dilution and not enough
> about concentration of the final product.  When I heard Eric talk about the
> details of the lacquer they use, it was a real eye-opener - explained a lot
> of the bad results I had seen people get with lacquer, and why I never liked
> it much before.
>
> I have to check your math, though.  Most off-the-shelf lacquer is around 25%
> solids, + or - a few points, or roughly double Steinway's concentration.  A
> 3:1 solution means 3/4 thinner and 1/4 lacquer, giving them a 3% solution.
> To get to the same concentration with our lacquer, it would need to be 1/8
> lacquer (half as much) and 7/8 thinner, or 7:1 dilution.  I'll mix at 6:1 or
> 8:1, depending on how big an effect I want.
>
> Just my 2 cents (or maybe 1 1/2) worth,
> Ken Z.

Hi Ken,
    My own lacquer is about 20 - 21% solids, and I've read labels showing
similar numbers. That's where I got my 6:1, more or less. And more or less
is the proper term, I think. Depends how tightly you keep your lid on, for
instance <G>. Bottom line, though, don't take the 3:1 literally. They were
trying to give us the straight scoop - exactly what they do in the basement
- and ended up throwing us a curve.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico