[CAUT] Steinway Institutional Service Recommendations

Ken Zahringer ZahringerK@missouri.edu
Tue, 06 Dec 2005 08:27:21 -0600

Fred,

I must echo your point about Steinway's lacquer.  I think far too many
people, including instructors, talk too much about dilution and not enough
about concentration of the final product.  When I heard Eric talk about the
details of the lacquer they use, it was a real eye-opener - explained a lot
of the bad results I had seen people get with lacquer, and why I never liked
it much before.

I have to check your math, though.  Most off-the-shelf lacquer is around 25%
solids, + or - a few points, or roughly double Steinway's concentration.  A
3:1 solution means 3/4 thinner and 1/4 lacquer, giving them a 3% solution.
To get to the same concentration with our lacquer, it would need to be 1/8
lacquer (half as much) and 7/8 thinner, or 7:1 dilution.  I'll mix at 6:1 or
8:1, depending on how big an effect I want.

Just my 2 cents (or maybe 1 1/2) worth,
Ken Z.

--
Ken Zahringer, RPT