[CAUT] Steinway Institutional Service Recommendations

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Mon, 05 Dec 2005 17:21:20 -0700

On 12/5/05 12:37 PM, "A440A@aol.com" <A440A@aol.com> wrote:

>     I don't know about official bulletins, but the normal Steinway
> treatment seems to be to soak the hammers in a 4:1 thinner/lacquer(and they
> don't
> really define "lacquer" in terms of solids, either), then begin your voicing
> from
> there.  I have even heard "3:1" used to describe factory approach.
Snip
> Ed Foote RPT
> http://www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/index.html
> www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/well_tempered_piano.html

Hi Ed,
    Actually, Eric Schandall has been specific about solids content over the
past couple years - he finally asked or figured out what it was (in
practice, in NYC they just get some from the factory). If memory serves,
it's 12% by weight, which is rather dilute compared to what we get in a can,
and they dilute it 3:1. IOW, it comes out to about 5:1 or 6:1 for most "off
the shelf" lacquers, similar to what most people had been saying for many,
many years.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico