[CAUT] HT suggestions

Avery Todd atodd@uh.edu
Wed, 07 Dec 2005 09:26:25 -0600

List,

I have a faculty piano recital coming up in April where he's going to use 5
different instruments with pieces representative of the time period in which
those instruments were in use. A harpsichord, Fortepiano, 1840 Bösendorfer
(just donated to us), a modern 'D' & a toy piano. At least I won't have to
tune the toy piano! Each one of the others will have a different tuning on it.
A bunch of extra work but should be interesting.

These are the pieces he's planning on right now:

>Maene Fortepiano: Haydn Andante and Variations in F minor
>Bösendorfer: Hammerklavier (Beethoven Sonata #29, Opus 106 in B flat major)
>    (the slow movement is in F sharp minor)
>Modern Steinway 'D': Berg Sonata (based in B minor)
>                      Scriabin 5th Sonata (is in F sharp)

I haven't had time to experiment any yet but so far, what I'm considering is:

Werckmeister for the Haydn
Vallotti for the Beethoven
ET (I assume) :-) for the Berg & Scriabin
He hasn't decided about the harpsichord yet, though.

I'd like to use appropriate temperaments but with
enough difference between them
to be fairly obvious. Especially to a good musician.

Any ideas/comments/suggestions to try? I want to
give him plenty of time to get
used to them & the effect they might have on his
interpretation compared to what
might be done in ET. Thanks.

Avery

Avery Todd, RPT