[CAUT] HT suggestions

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Wed, 7 Dec 2005 12:52:09 -0700

Hi Avery,
     I'd say Valotti is a bit pungent for Beethoven, and would
recommend something on the lines of John Preston, Peter Prelleur,
Early 18th Century, Representative 18th Century, or Broadwood Best
(Ellis tuner #4) instead. That would give more contrast from the
Haydn's tuning. I might use Valotti for the Haydn, but a Werckmeister
would be fine. I see no reason to assume ET for Berg - you could use
a Victorian temperament and be well within historic principles.
"Moore" would be a good choice. But as a practical matter I would
probably do ET so I didn't have to change the D from where it is.
(BTW, the Berg Sonata is a great piece, one of my favorites. A real
transitional, late romantic powerhouse, filled with angst and
ethereal beauty). It would be nice for contrast sake if the
harpsichord piece would work with a meantone.
     Who's the prof doing this recital? Or is it a joint effort? Very
interesting project.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico