[CAUT] Bostons

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Wed, 7 Dec 2005 10:40:41 EST

In a message dated 12/7/2005 5:01:59 AM Central Standard Time,
ricbrek@broadpark.no writes:

Hi  folks

We just got a source of Bostons here in the area. I havent seen  these
for a while and find that the two uprights I've looked at seem very
subdued.  That is to say they dont seem to have much volume... as in
loudness.  Hammers seem hard enough... too hard really for my  tastes  a
bit pingy. Regulation is close enough so that it should be  plenty
useable.  Brand new 126 cm models.

I was wondering if  those of you with lots of recent experience with
Bostons could comment on  the general sound picture these instruments
have.  Seems to me these  two are just plain too  quiet.

Thanks
RicB

We've got 5 Boston uprights, and 4 grands here at UA, and they seam to  be
OK. I've never had any volume problems. I guess any piano, from any brand,  can
have some problems. I would first sand the hammers, and if that doesn't  work,
use some lacquer and acetone on a few hammers and see if that brightens  them
up a bit.

Wim