[CAUT] HT suggestions

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Thu, 08 Dec 2005 17:44:20 -0700

On 12/8/05 10:51 AM, "Avery Todd" <atodd@uh.edu> wrote:

> I really don't want to use Broadwood Best for this. It's just way
> too mild for what I'd like to try & do.

Hi Avery,
    Just to clarify, there are two =B3Broadwood Best=B2 tunings, derived from
two separate measurements (of two separate tunings) made by Alexander Ellis=
.
Both appear on the same table in Jorgenson=B9s book, along with the =B3Broadwoo=
Usual=B2 tunings. The Broadwood Best (Ellis tuner #5) tuning is quite mild,
almost not noticeably different from ET. Broadwood Best (Ellis tuner #4) is
fairly pungent, with lots of key contrast. Offsets are
A 0.0
A# +4.0
B =AD1.0
C +5.0
C# +1.0
D +3.0
D# +3.0
E =AD2.0
F +5.0
F# 0.0
G +5.0
G# +2.0
In contrast, Ellis tuner #5 doesn=B9t stray beyond 2.0 cents. Valotti ranges
from =AD3.9 to +7.8. The other tunings I mentioned are in the general range o=
BB #4, with Preston being the mildest (milder than BB #4). All are
intermediate between Valotti or Werckmeister and ET =AD noticeable if you=B9re
listening, but more subtle. The patterns of all are quite similar, as one
would expect. Ellis tuner #4 could easily have been tuning Peter Prelleur,
with differences just being normal operator error.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico