[CAUT] Bostons

Jim Busby jim_busby@byu.edu
Wed, 7 Dec 2005 10:35:35 -0700

Hi Ric,

I have 12 118S Bostons and they are not as good as the 126's as far as
projection goes. They're a good choice for practice rooms though. I'd
treat them like you would UST-7s.

Have you tried Joe Goss' hammer fitting block? It's the only tool I've
found for upright piano hammer mating (hammer to strings) that will
easily file hammers in an upright. If you mate the hammers like you
would on a grand (and seat the bridge, etc.) the tone will come alive.
Still not a lot of volume, but you might try that that before juice. I
have had to resort to juice for some and found that a few drops of
"Hammer Max" on the crown followed by a light sanding and voicing worked
well. However, I still prefer the fitting to the doping. The sound is
less harsh.

Regards,
Jim Busby BYU

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Ric Brekne
Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2005 4:00 AM
To: CAUT@ptg.org
Subject: [CAUT] Bostons

Hi folks

We just got a source of Bostons here in the area. I havent seen these
for a while and find that the two uprights I've looked at seem very
subdued.  That is to say they dont seem to have much volume... as in
loudness.  Hammers seem hard enough... too hard really for my tastes  a
bit pingy. Regulation is close enough so that it should be plenty
useable.  Brand new 126 cm models.

I was wondering if those of you with lots of recent experience with
Bostons could comment on the general sound picture these instruments
have.  Seems to me these two are just plain too quiet.

Thanks
RicB