[CAUT] Bostons

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Wed, 7 Dec 2005 12:16:38 -0700

On Dec 7, 2005, at 10:35 AM, Jim Busby wrote:

> Have you tried Joe Goss' hammer fitting block? It's the only tool I've
> found for upright piano hammer mating (hammer to strings) that will
> easily file hammers in an upright.

Hi Jim,
     A quicker, easier way is to use a sandpaper strip between
strings and hammers. Grit facing out towards hammers (DUH). Press
hammers against strings, using shanks or catchers to press, not too
much force. Use a block of wood or something to press four or five at
a time, with appropriate width strip of paper. 180 grit or so. Zip,
zip, you're done. BTW, this is an idea courtesy of Mr Spurlock, not
original with me.
     It's helpful to do a bit of string leveling before: brass drift,
light hammer, tap, tap. Helps speed up tuning stability on green
instruments, too.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico