[CAUT] Petrof tuning

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu, 8 Dec 2005 09:45:15 EST

In a message dated 12/7/2005 6:51:30 PM Central Standard Time,
l-bartlett@sbcglobal.net writes:
I need some speculative advice about a tuning.

The piano a 6'4" Petrof.  I've tuned it for six years, and it has been very
stable until today....  Humidity was between 36-40%.   The piano was 6-15 cents
flat in the bass, 24 cents right after the break,  +or- a cent or two in the
center, and up to 30 cents flat in the top.  I've never had problems with this
piano before.    When we had our first little cold snap (ok, 50 degrees isn't
really cold......) she says her heater was off for two days...       She also
has been a prissy little player, but recently has been playing pretty hard.
I tend to pound things in pretty well, and my tunings are quite stable..  This
thing has be really baffled.  Any thoughts,
les bartlett
houston
Les

I would blame it on the weather. With all the rain you've had recently, and
now with the cold snap, and especially since her heat was off for two days,
that has an awful lot to do with the stability of the tuning. I don't think it
has anything to do with her playing. Pianos here at school are fine, with just a
little change, until the university switches from AC to heat. Then all hell
breaks out.

Wim