[CAUT] Petrof tuning

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Thu, 08 Dec 2005 16:17:42 +0100

Hi Les

I have a lot of experience with Petrofs and find them to be amoung the
more weather sick instruments I run into. That said I have a few that
are unbelievbly stable. One of these did exactly the same thing you
describe below.  Was really stable for several years and then suddenly
it got horrible out of tune with no good explaination at hand.  Its been
fairly unstable since.  No real performance changes otherwise that I can
identify.  Its almost like the darn thing decided to come out of
hibernation or something... hehe.  I never have figured it out.

Only suggestions I can think of is a round of tightening all plate bolts
etc, and perhaps a good inspection of case beams, glue joints and that
sort of thing.

Cheers
RicB

--------
The piano a 6'4" Petrof.  I've tuned it for six years, and it has been
very stable until today....  Humidity was between 36-40%.   The piano
was 6-15 cents flat in the bass, 24 cents right after the break,  +or- a
cent or two in the center, and up to 30 cents flat in the top.  I've
never had problems with this piano before.    When we had our first
little cold snap (ok, 50 degrees isn't really cold......) she says her
heater was off for two days...       She also has been a prissy little
player, but recently has been playing pretty hard.  I tend to pound
things in pretty well, and my tunings are quite stable..  This thing has
be really baffled.  Any thoughts,
  les bartlett
  houston