[CAUT] Petrof tuning

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Thu, 8 Dec 2005 10:03:22 -0500

Leslie,
Our climate here has been EXTREMELY unstable for the past 3 weeks,
with humidity swings back and forth and back and forth from 28% to
60%, two to three times a week (yes, right here at exam time with
rooms so booked up you can't get in to tune).  Everything I've tuned
in the past two weeks shows no indication we have a piano tuner on
staff.  When you measured humidity it was probably in the middle of a
swing.  No telling where it's been since your last appointment.

Ya'll didn't get any of that snow?  We're just going to get very cold
rainy weather out of it.  At least if it snows you have an excuse to
not get out in the weather.

Jeff

On Dec 7, 2005, at 7:50 PM, Leslie W Bartlett wrote:

> I need some speculative advice about a tuning.
>
> The piano a 6'4" Petrof.  I've tuned it for six years, and it has
> been very stable until today....  Humidity was between 36-40%.
> The piano was 6-15 cents flat in the bass, 24 cents right after the
> break,  +or- a cent or two in the center, and up to 30 cents flat
> in the top.  I've never had problems with this piano before.
> When we had our first little cold snap (ok, 50 degrees isn't really
> cold......) she says her heater was off for two days...       She
> also has been a prissy little player, but recently has been playing
> pretty hard.  I tend to pound things in pretty well, and my tunings
> are quite stable..  This thing has be really baffled.  Any thoughts,
> les bartlett
> houston

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina