[CAUT] Petrof tuning

Leslie Bartlett l-bartlett@sbcglobal.net
Thu, 8 Dec 2005 17:35:09 -0600

The "two days without heat" were some weeks back. She has been playing
harder than usual for the last several weeks.   I just did two Kimball
Grands and a Baldwin upright today which I also service regularly which were
more than the "average" amount flat.  Maybe it's just the big weather
changes.........

Thanks for observations.  I'm amazed at how fast a piano can change. I did a
Steinway D which was delivered to a local outdoor pavillion at 10:00 in the
morning. When I tuned it at noon it was still in very good shape. After it
had set outside all day, and three hours in the direct sun it was a
disaster......
les

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org]On Behalf Of Ric
Brekne
Sent: Thursday, December 08, 2005 9:53 AM
To: caut@ptg.org
Subject: [CAUT] Petrof tuning

Well... yes.  But in my experience the kind of movement in the piano you
describe usually takes more then a couple days of somewhat lower then
usual RH.  Could be the piano just <<gave in>> to the change.  Still...
24 cents of movement on a stable instrument after two days of  moderate
(?) drop in RH ??.... stranger things have happened but.....  I have to
hang my hat on the doubtfull krage.

Cheers
RicB

Previous tunings (every six months) never varied more than 5-7 cents.
Houses here are central heat/air, and normally really locked down. Most
never open windows.   Could two days in relatively low humidity, with no
heat or air, make that kind of difference?
les