[CAUT] Boston pianos

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Sun, 11 Dec 2005 14:45:07 +0100

Hi folkens.

I have had some time to work more with this 126 upright we have and am
begining to wonder whether or not the instrument was designed purposely
to be just a bit on the quite side.  After a couple voicing sessions I
think I have the thing figured out and have gotten a very pleasing voice
out of the instrument. And, if you have the thing in an open room the
instrument projects very nicely from the back side. Sitting at the piano
however one simply must open the top a bit unless one wants a very
subdued sound.  I got to thinking about the pros and cons of this.
Actually... there are some distinct advantages here.  Most often
uprights are used in situations where they simply do not need much
power.  In fact I think you could argue that a quiet piano is just the
thing for many situations.  In such cases the Boston, with a closed top
and back against a wall would fit the bill.  Opening the top yeilds a
rather dramatic increase in sound.  So much so that I have a hard time
thinking they didnt do this on purpose... I  mean they must have at
least noticed this affect by now and they've had all kinds of oportunity
to change things...and they havent.

Finnally... having the instrument in the open  and listening from an
audience perspective with the soundboard angled slightly towards the
audience... the instrument sounded quite wonderful. Delightful
actually.  Plenty of power and a very nice balance... a pretty voice I'd
have to say.  By no means overpowering to be sure. But all in all... I
think I kind of like them.

Still.... I would like just a bit more sound out front without having to
open the top.  A different kind of front panel might be an answer....

Anyways... I am still anxious to hear what Ron Overs has to say about
the reasoning behind his last post on the subject. How does a soundboard
get designed purposely to be quiet, yet maintaining a pleasing balance ?

Cheers
RicB