[CAUT] Boston pianos

Cramer@BrandonU.CA Cramer@BrandonU.CA
Mon, 12 Dec 2005 00:24:48 +0000 (GMT)

I won't speak for Ron on this Ric, but recall some Kawai
(Boston) uprights having "wider" ribs than typical, and
having a "flat" profile (as in square corners), rather than
radiused.

If you wanted to create a stiffer than normal soundboard
(higher impedence), this would (IMHO) be a great place to
start.

Though you didn't mention "how" you voiced this instrument,
I suspect you chose to be "content" with the gains of deep-
shoulder needling, and avoided "trying to create something
that isn't there" with chemical hardeners, etc. (Oui?)

I've found that approach works well with "these"
instruments, IOW "allow the piano to be musical, within
it's natural limitations." (dynamic range)

In this context, I'm sure you've provided quite an
enjoyable piano, and really all the instrument it needs to
be.

BTW, on occassion after tuning, I've left the tiny lid
prop "up" so the player could experience a bit more of the
range and "presence" the piano was capable of.

best regards,
Mark Cramer,
Brandon University

> Hi folkens.
>
> I have had some time to work more with this 126 upright
we have and am
> begining to wonder whether or not the instrument was
designed purposely
> to be just a bit on the quite side.  After a couple
voicing sessions I
> think I have the thing figured out and have gotten a very
pleasing voice
> out of the instrument. And, if you have the thing in an
open room the
> instrument projects very nicely from the back side.
Sitting at the piano
> however one simply must open the top a bit unless one
wants a very
> subdued sound.  I got to thinking about the pros and cons
of this.
> Actually... there are some distinct advantages here.
Most often
> uprights are used in situations where they simply do not
need much
> power.  In fact I think you could argue that a quiet
piano is just the
> thing for many situations.  In such cases the Boston,
with a closed top
> and back against a wall would fit the bill.  Opening the
top yeilds a
> rather dramatic increase in sound.  So much so that I
have a hard time
> thinking they didnt do this on purpose... I  mean they
must have at
> least noticed this affect by now and they've had all
kinds of oportunity
> to change things...and they havent.
>
> Finnally... having the instrument in the open  and
listening from an
> audience perspective with the soundboard angled slightly
towards the
> audience... the instrument sounded quite wonderful.
Delightful
> actually.  Plenty of power and a very nice balance... a
pretty voice I'd
> have to say.  By no means overpowering to be sure. But
all in all... I
> think I kind of like them.
>
> Still.... I would like just a bit more sound out front
without having to
> open the top.  A different kind of front panel might be
an answer....

> Anyways... I am still anxious to hear what Ron Overs has
to say about
> the reasoning behind his last post on the subject. How
does a soundboard
> get designed purposely to be quiet, yet maintaining a
pleasing balance ?