[CAUT] harpsicord tuning instruction

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Tue, 13 Dec 2005 08:15:24 -0600

At 02:40 PM 12/12/2005 -0800, you wrote:
>I need to learn how to tune harpsicords on the
>accelerated learning path.  Any suggestions?  Thank
>you    Debra

Just like how you get to Carnegie Hall. Practice, practice, practice. ;-}

If you can get frequent access to a harpsichord, do it.   Aurally.   As a
CAUTerized person, I'm assuming that you DO have an "in" to an institution
where one resides. "Pulling strings" should come naturally to a tuner...

Beats are easy to hear, pins are easy to turn and there are fewer of
them.  Electronics are good for setting pitch, but in the time you take to
set them up, turn them on and start watching the light show, needles or
display, you could have half the temperament done.  You aren't worried
about inharmonicity for the rest of it, anyway.

If your aural skills aren't where you want them to be, the electronic aids
could be used to check your work and hone your skills.

Aural skills are NEVER out of style.  The laptop wherein resides my RCT
software, suddenly (after 5 years) decided to go on strike.  Until I get my
new laptop set up, I'll _have_ to tune aurally.  I'll miss my screensaver
for a while... ;-}

Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

- Right now, I'm hoping to live until my age matches my golf score,
- Until then, I'll have to be content to have my IQ match my handicap.