[CAUT] Speaking of harpsicords

Christopher Purdy purdy@ohio.edu
Tue, 13 Dec 2005 10:03:51 -0500

Has anyone been in contact with Willard Martin?  I have been trying to
get in touch with him for weeks.  Our two Martin harpsichords need
parts and my stock is getting thin.

If not Willard, can anyone suggest another supplier for strings and
plectra?  I don't mind making my own string replacements but it sure
has been convenient to have them pre cut and the hitch pin coil ready
to go.  Who makes their own hitch pin coils?  Do you use a piano string
coil maker or something else?

Also, while I'm on a roll, I'm thinking about restringing our french
double in the recital hall.  It has been very reliable for the first
fifteen years I have been here but this last couple of years it seems
to have gone into a slump.  I often get a broken string during tuning
now where before it was very rare.  I am also wanting to replace all
the pluckers.  I have a faculty member practicing in here daily now and
these dudes are breaking all over the place.  At this rate, it will
have all new plectra soon anyway...

Thanks for your input,
Chris

Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.