[CAUT] Speaking of harpsicords

Porritt, David dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Tue, 13 Dec 2005 09:31:14 -0600

Chris:

=20

I've tried to get Willard in the past and I did hear from him once about
a year ago.  He's still alive though difficult to reach.  I get all my
harpsichord supplies at http://www.fortepiano.com/  They have all the
different strings etc. also. =20

=20

I do make my own hitch pin loops.  I got Margaret Hood's Harpsichord
Repair Guide and that has been a big help.  I have a cup hook on a dowel
rod that can make a good loop.  OK, not as good as the factory but they
work fine and one would have to look carefully to see much difference. =20

=20

dp

=20

David M. Porritt

dporritt@smu.edu

________________________________

From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Christopher Purdy
Sent: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 9:04 AM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: [CAUT] Speaking of harpsicords

=20

Has anyone been in contact with Willard Martin? I have been trying to
get in touch with him for weeks. Our two Martin harpsichords need parts
and my stock is getting thin.=20

=20

If not Willard, can anyone suggest another supplier for strings and
plectra? I don't mind making my own string replacements but it sure has
been convenient to have them pre cut and the hitch pin coil ready to go.
Who makes their own hitch pin coils? Do you use a piano string coil
maker or something else?=20

=20

Also, while I'm on a roll, I'm thinking about restringing our french
double in the recital hall. It has been very reliable for the first
fifteen years I have been here but this last couple of years it seems to
have gone into a slump. I often get a broken string during tuning now
where before it was very rare. I am also wanting to replace all the
pluckers. I have a faculty member practicing in here daily now and these
dudes are breaking all over the place. At this rate, it will have all
new plectra soon anyway...=20

=20

Thanks for your input,=20

Chris=20