[CAUT] Speaking of harpsicords

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Tue, 13 Dec 2005 10:42:08 -0600

At 10:18 AM 12/13/2005 -0600, you wrote:
>The little hook on the T handle (if that's what what you have) works just
>fine as a base to wind hitch pin loops with one hand, holding it with the
>other.  There is some practice required, but it's very practical and
>doable.  Hardest part is holding the wire straight and winding each over
>the other, not one around the other.   Make last several windings tight
>and you are good to go.  At some class several years ago I got a template
>from Bill Garlick that had descended in direct line back to William Dowd's
>shop that he used for cutting wire at the other end to proper length for
>winding around the tuning pin. Whatever you use for that it's very nice to
>have some guide to make things more uniform, accounting for wire size.
>
>dennis johnson
>St. Olaf College

I find something I can clamp the far end in so that I can get enough
tension on the string.  The trick (for me) to having them wind evenly
around each other is to have enough tension to have the end in your hand
(needle nose pliers) and the other end at right angles and keep the loop
forming at a 45° angle.  After the open coils are made to your chosen
length, allow the long end to go straight and, feeding the short end at
90°, make 4/5 tight coils on the end and break off excess by working it
back and forth.

Conrad Hoffsommer

Every great idea has a disadvantage equal to or exceeding the greatness of
the idea.
  -Murphy's Law calendar