[CAUT] Speaking of harpsicords

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Wed, 14 Dec 2005 07:25:08 -0700

Hi Chris,
     My preference for tying tails is to attach my dowel with a cup
hook in the end to a solid surface (I use a spring clamp to attach it
to the metal tool case I keep my wire in). Then I use both hands to
wind the tail. It's a matter of holding tight to the wire,
maintaining tension, maintaining a 90 degree angle between the two
ends. Start with the wire crossed in the correct direction to match
existing coils (clock-wise or counter - it's just for aesthetics).
Make one twist: hands rotate a full turn around one another, then let
go with one hand and reach around and grab the same end (maybe use a
finger of the other hand to keep that end in place). Repeat the
process for four twists (or however many the harpsichord has on
average). Finish off by holding the main wire taut and making
cylindrical loops around it - this mostly for looks. This takes some
finesse to keep it neat, especially getting the first one neat. I
find this gives me the best control of the twists, and I've become
quite fast at it. It is the technique I have used to string a number
of harpsichords, as well as replace countless broken strings. (The
other method - where one end of the wire is clamped to a table or
whatever, the other held taut with fingers of hand or pliers, and the
second hand twists the hook between those two points - works well
also. A matter of preference and of what results you are satisfied
with).
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm@unm.edu

PS Just remembered I wrote about this in more detail a couple years
ago, and actually found the post:
    On the assumption you are matching double helix loops with a coil
finish (the
most common, looks like bass string hitch loops):
1) You need a fixed substitute for the hitch pin. A large cup hook
mounted to the
edge of a table works. Or a headless nail held in a vice. Whatever it
is, it needs
to be positioned so that there are no obstructions in front of it (to
allow free
movement of your hands). It should be of a large enough diameter so
that the loop
formed can easily fit over the hitch pin later. (I mostly use a cup
hook screwed
into the end of a dowel. I attach this with a spring clamp to the
edge of my cheap,
metal harpsichord tool/supply case, or to the front edge of the
harpsichord - if the finish isn't too fancy).
2) Pull the wire around the dummy pin, so that it goes completely
around and
crosses at a right angle. You need enough "waste length" to get a
good grip. 6 to
10 inches should suffice. Hold the wire in that position with one
hand - the hand
that you will use throughout to hold the speaking length. You will
need to have
decided whether the waste length goes over or under based on the
direction you want
to the coils to go (look at one of the loops you are matching).
3) Take the hand that is not holding the wire, and place it over or
under the other
hand (depending whether the waste length is over or under the
speaking length) and
grab the waste length. Holding the wire taut with both hands, and so
that the
string forms a right angle where it meets, rotate both arms in a full
circle around
one another (easier to show than describe this sort of thing),
keeping the wire
taut and at right angle at all times, so that it actually makes clear
and sharp
bends/coils around itself (each bends around the other). If you have
been
successful, you should be able to let go with one hand, and the wire
will pretty
much stay put.
4) Repeat the above as many times as needed to create the number of
coils desired.
Steady, even movement, with wire held taut at all times, and
maintaining the 90
degree angle between wire ends, will allow for even, neat appearance.
5) For the finish coil, hold the speaking length of the wire taut
with one hand,
pulling straight toward yourself. With the other hand, pull the waste
length of
wire neatly around the speaking length. It is essential that the wire
be held taut
at all times, and a bit of finesse is needed to start the coil
evenly. Again, the
waste length hand lets go, and is moved around the speaking length
hand to grab the
waste length again. And you make as many tight, even coils as needed
to match the
original.
6) Cut the wire, leaving a short segment (match originals), which
will rest on the
hitch pin rail to help assure the coils don't unwind. It is necessary
to plan so
that the final direction of that bit of waste length is under the
speaking length.
     A caution - don't overdo tightness of coils. If they are too
tight, you will
have tail breakage. But if they are not tight enough, they'll want to
unwind. You
have to use good judgment here.