[CAUT] "D" with a ghost

Don Mannino DMannino@kawaius.com
Wed, 2 Feb 2005 08:52:34 -0800

Jim,

I have noticed this as well - the job of the aliquot scale is to add
general resonance.

The poor sustain on that note is very likely caused by the open
coincident aliquot string as well.  Rather than muting the open string
section, you might want to try sliding the aliquot bar so that the
aliquot is just a little sharp of the C#6.  Contrary to what many people
do with tuning the aliquots as close as possible, I have found that, at
least for some pianos, setting them tuned a little sharp will give good
resonance an sustain to the treble tone without sapping energy from the
coinciding note in the piano.  A little flat seems to cut sustain, and
in tune seems to make the volume of the played not take a quick dive
after it is played, then sustain at a quieter level for a longer time.
Again - this is quite variable according to the individual piano.

Don Mannino