[CAUT] rubbing back checks.

Chris Solliday solliday@ptd.net
Tue, 15 Feb 2005 11:59:34 -0500

Hi, Wim, rather than trying to limit pianistic creativity (how ever =
mundane and tawdry) I would consider this another opportunity to do work =
and execute the necessary repairs.=20
"the one armed piano tuner"
Chris Solliday=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@aol.com=20
  To: caut@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 10:03 AM
  Subject: [CAUT] rubbing back checks.

  Yesterday there was a note on the piano of one of the piano profs' D, =
("key rubs when holding down Db6 and playing C5)  Upon inspection, I =
noticed the back checks were rubbing against each other. I wrote the =
following to the professor.=20

  =20
  > The problem with the keys you pointed out was the Dd back check was
  > rubbing =20
  > against the C back check, but only when the Db was depressed. When I
  > had the =20
  > action out, I noticed several other back checks that were almost
  > rubbing=20
  > against  their neighbors. There was one similarity with all the ones
  > that were=20
  > close to  their neighbors. They all belonged to a black key. Then I
  > looked at the=20
  > front of  the key, and noticed they were very close to the white =
key.
  >=20
  > =20
  > This is caused by playing glissandos on the black keys. It has =
always
  > been =20
  > advised for piano players not to play glissando on the black keys.
  > Primarily =20
  > because the key button can't take the strain, but also because it
  > does cause=20
  > the  key to move over, and thus create this problem.=20
  > =20
  > Now, if you are not playing glissando on the black key, I wonder if
  > perhaps =20
  > when you play a glissando on the white key, your fingers rub against =

  > the=20
  > black keys, causing them to move over.=20
  > =20

  His response was:

  Wim,

  "I rarely play glissandos."

  My question to you guys is this. Have any of you experienced this, and =
what solution do you have? This is a 45 year old D, with the original =
action.=20

  His other comment was:

  "Perhaps the technicians guild needs to take this matter up with the=20
  composers guild, particularly the branch that deals with dead=20
  composers.  Debussy and Ravel were noted for their transgressions into =

  glissandi."

  Any takers for an ad hoc committee to investigate this problem and =
make recommendations?

  Wim
  Willem Blees, RPT
  Piano Tuner/Technician