[CAUT] rubbing back checks.

Alan McCoy amccoy@mail.ewu.edu
Tue, 15 Feb 2005 09:07:44 -0800

So Wim, How are the key bushings?

Alan McCoy

From: <Wimblees@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 10:03:58 -0500 (EST)
To: <caut@ptg.org>
Subject: [CAUT] rubbing back checks.

Yesterday there was a note on the piano of one of the piano profs' D, ("key
rubs when holding down Db6 and playing C5)  Upon inspection, I noticed the
back checks were rubbing against each other. I wrote the following to the
professor.

> The problem with the keys you pointed out was the Dd back check was
> rubbing
> against the C back check, but only when the Db was depressed. When I
> had the
> action out, I noticed several other back checks that were almost
> rubbing
> against  their neighbors. There was one similarity with all the ones
> that were
> close to  their neighbors. They all belonged to a black key. Then I
> looked at the
> front of  the key, and noticed they were very close to the white key.
>

> This is caused by playing glissandos on the black keys. It has always
> been
> advised for piano players not to play glissando on the black keys.
> Primarily
> because the key button can't take the strain, but also because it
> does cause
> the  key to move over, and thus create this problem.
>
> Now, if you are not playing glissando on the black key, I wonder if
> perhaps
> when you play a glissando on the white key, your fingers rub against
> the
> black keys, causing them to move over.

His response was:

Wim,

"I rarely play glissandos."

My question to you guys is this. Have any of you experienced this, and what
solution do you have? This is a 45 year old D, with the original action.

His other comment was:

"Perhaps the technicians guild needs to take this matter up with the
composers guild, particularly the branch that deals with dead
composers.  Debussy and Ravel were noted for their transgressions into
glissandi."

Any takers for an ad hoc committee to investigate this problem and make
recommendations?

Wim
Willem Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician