[CAUT] Steinway Style II Grand

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Tue, 15 Feb 2005 16:52:39 EST

In a message dated 2/15/2005 1:47:32 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,  Erwinspiano
writes:

  Hi Bill
 Thanks for the honest assessment . While your words are true  it wasn't as
good as the lower registers but when it was first tuned at a-440  there was
nothing ,nada ,zip. The solution in my mind is to scale  for A-440 & moved the
bridge around as much as possible to accommodate  it.. Had I  done this note 85
was at least 58 or 60 mm or more & the  increased  tension would have helped
greatly.It was quite a few  years ago & I'd do it differently now. Live & learn!
 I will say that in spite of its' weaknesses when I had some  real pianist
play it ,the weaker treble octaves were rather camouflaged and  not horribly
objectionable. The string lengths up there were so short . What  were they
thinking?You Know.
  Dale

Bill  Schull wrote

  Actually I  was very disappointed in the top 2.5 to 3 octaves of the piano
you rebuilt, when  tuned to A-457, this is why I am concluding that A-457
isn't the solution (and  may have been part of Steinway's attempt to solve the
problem).  Not only  did the sound improve enough (it DID improve), but the
numbers were still not  right when running the numbers on PScale.  Unfortunately I
don't have  access to those numbers right now...

Erwins  Pianos Restorations
4721 Parker Rd.
Modesto, Ca  95357
209-577-8397